The original Heal’s firm was established in 1810 as a feather-dressing business by John Harris Heal and his son.
In 1818, the business moved to Tottenham Court Road and expanded into bedding, bedstead and furniture manufacture and into retailing. By the end of the nineteenth century, it was one of the best-known furniture suppliers in London.
In the early 20th century Heal’s was one of the first retailers to bring electric lighting to the British market. The company featured at the Festival of Britain in 1951.